Carlos Ortega, CTV/AD Venezuela

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Dec 5 12:01:32 PST 2002

At 2:36 PM -0500 12/5/02, Nathan Newman wrote:
>Independent unions have the right to associate with and make coalitions with
>anybody they like, whether communist parties or business federations, and
>even engage in general strikes demanding new elections. I've seen zero
>evidence that the CTV is "taking orders" from business groups; they are
>sharing strategy.

You can't see evidence because you have an ability to block out any reports that contradict the opinion that you already hold, for instance Ron Smith's report that "CTV said, when asked if there will be a new work stoppage, that it depends on the will of FEDECAMARAS. I attended a press conference of CTV, where Carlos Ortega, the head of CTV said 'vamos por la guerra' (we are going to war). When I attended said press conference, I was invited to a back room to meet the executive committee of CTV, and who would be in the room but 3 admirals who assisted in the coup in April" (@ <http://www.narconews.com/smith1.html>).

If Carlos Ortega thinks that a post-Chavez junta led by Pedro Carmona or someone like him from the business federation who would disband the legislature and the supreme court is better for peasants, workers, slum dwellers, intellectuals, etc. than Chavez and his supporters, he is either out of his mind or cynically looking out for only his interests.

At 2:40 PM -0500 12/5/02, Nathan Newman wrote:
>I hope over time, more progressive forces within the union,
>independent of direct Chavez control, take over the CTV

That would never happen while CTV is in bed with FEDECAMARAS and right-wing military leaders, blacklisting dissenters. -- Yoshie