separation of church and state? never heard of it

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Dec 6 06:27:18 PST 2002

From: AFA Action Alert <afalert at afa.net> Subject: National motto to be displayed in 38,000 U.S. post offices Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 04:00:00 -0600

AFA Action Alert!

National motto to be displayed in 38,000 U.S. post offices

"This goes to prove that one person can make a difference." - Don Wildmon, AFA Chairman

The United States Postal Service has agreed to place a framed copy of our national motto "<http://www.ingodwetrustposter.com>In God We Trust" in each of its 38,000 post offices. This decision came after American Family Association member Frank Williamson said his donated framed posters of the motto were ordered to be removed from post office lobbies in Montgomery, Willis and Dobbin, Texas.

As soon as the posters came down, Williamson began writing letters of protest to lawmakers and postal authorities. Shortly afterward, Williamson received word from authorities in Washington that the U.S. Postal Service has designed its own poster depicting the national motto and would cover the cost to distribute it to every post office in the country.

The new poster is designed to look like a large stamp with the drawing of the Statue of Liberty in the middle and the motto printed above the crown.

"The U.S. Postal Service decided to design the poster after researching Williamson's complaint and discovering that the <http://thomas.loc.gov/>U.S. House of Representatives had adopted a resolution two years ago that supported putting the motto in every public building possible," said David Lewin, postal spokesman in Houston.

Don Wildmon, chairman of American Family Association, started a <http://www.afa.net/igwt/default.asp>national crusade to place copies of the motto in public classrooms and government buildings in 2000. "We have distributed over 400,000 posters since the campaign started, with tens of thousands now hanging on public classroom walls, in city halls and other public buildings because of individual citizens like Mr. Williamson." He said at least <http://www.afa.net/igwt/statelaws.asp>15 states have legal statutes requiring or strongly recommending public display of the motto.

"We've heard from many citizens who said their offer to place the national motto in their local postal lobby was rejected," said Wildmon, "but Mr. Williamson wouldn't take no for an answer. This goes to prove that one person can make a difference."

ACTION NEEDED

Please take a moment to thank the United State Postal Service and Postmaster General John E. Potter for posting "In God We Trust" in post offices all across America.