power

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Fri Dec 6 11:11:39 PST 2002

At 01:41 PM 12/06/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>It is exactly this insistence on the obdurate reality of "subjectivity"
>that intrigues me. The idea that people have unique subjectivities
>emerged in specific societies at specific points in human history; it
>is not simply human nature to conceptualize "subjectivities". To me,
>it's no coincidence that the insistence on the value and importance
>of subjectivity is most extreme in hypercapitalist societies like
>the U. S. To coin a hyperbolic slogan: capitalism produces
>subjectivities. Like most of the effects of capitalism, there are
>good and bad things about this.

...and even more interesting, "subjectivity" always emerges as a holy relic -- that which must never be subverted by any form of authority or power...and which is wholly identified with individual experience. It sounds OK on the face of it, but the other dimension of "subjectivity" -- that humanity and its needs which we all hold in common-- is completely disappeared from this libertarian form of spirituality.

You get to be who you are provided you relinquish all links to everyone else. A bad bargain, I'd say.

Joanna