Kill em all

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Fri Dec 6 20:01:33 PST 2002

Justin:

> The Old Man once said we don't judge someone by what
> she thinks of herself. Of course everyone thinks their
> acts are justified by the highest ideals.

No, few people think that, although most generally believe that their motives are loftier than they are in reality.

> Hitler thought so.

Bad example. His actions were influenced in large part by ideals, albeit perverted ideals.

> That doesn't mean that that's what motivated them. Don't be naive.

Don't be overly cynical. It's quite easy to ascribe base motives from afar to even the saint.

> Well, I don't neceassry think it would have worked
> very well.

Then why bother? Be honest and acknowledge that, on your view, there's really nothing of import to be done.

> Confuses occasion with motivation and rationale.

Which, of course, you're directly privy to.

> For starters. I find this far more plausible than your
> idea that it was motivated by a sincere desire to
> stomp out terrorism.

Sure, we all know that the monsters in the US government could never have a sincere desire of any sort, much less one to eliminate terrorists.

-- Luke