more Negri

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Dec 7 10:17:11 PST 2002

Anthony Tothe wrote:

> We/I didn't read it because it is indecipherable...not because we hate
> negri. At least get the position correct..The amount of substance to dense
> rhetoric is silly and not worth the effort. -Tony

I guess there's a huge element of subjectivity (whatever that means) in responses to _Empire_. I never found it dense -- I found it _lacking_ in density. (I follow their use of Spinoza, but I don't think it holds water.) It's fluff. It is difficult to grasp cotton candy. This kind of difficulty can create the illusion that the text is actualy difficult. It isn't. Relax. Read the whole thing. Then forget about it.

I find _Capital_ I and _Grundrisse_ gloriously and properly dense. _Empire_ pretends to that kind of density but fails to come across.

Carrol