Body Count

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Dec 7 12:05:31 PST 2002

At 12:02 PM -0600 12/7/02, Carrol Cox wrote:
> > I will take a hypothetical situation. A group of 5 Afghans is trained,
>> armed, financed by ISI, they infiltrate into Indian Kashmir and blow up
>> Kashmir legislative assembly. They escape and hide into caves of Taliban
>> ruled Afghanistan. What do you expect Indian government to do?
>
>I expect then _not_ to go to war, whatever else they do. This is _not_,
>in the present condition of world affairs, a legitimate _casus belli_,
>for the ill results of any war (for everyone) will far transcend the
>damage which you describe here. India perhaps should provide better
>guards at the kashmir legislative assembly. If some criminals
>(international or national) still break through, that's the way the
>cookie crumbles. One does the best one can to prevent certain evils, but
>if they happen, one lives with them.
>
>I do the best I can to keep mosquitoes out of the house, but if one gets
>in, I don't throw a hand grenade in the living room to destroy it.
>That's what the U.S. is doing now. That's what India would be doing if
>it went to war to catch those who blew up the assembly.
>
>Carrol

Besides, going to war against Pakistan damages the interests -- and indeed lives -- of Indians much more than going to war against Afghanistan and Iraq damages the interests -- and lives -- of Americans. The United States is after all next door to neither Afghanistan nor Iraq; neither Iraq nor Afghanistan is a nuclear state, but Pakistan is.

BTW, India defended the Soviet Union in the Afghan campaign (Cf. <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/2542431.stm>), supported Najibullah after the Soviet troop withdrawal, and then supported the anti-Taliban Alliance (Cf. <http://www.janes.com/security/international_security/news/jir/jir010315_1_n.shtml>). A complex history of cross-border interventions that makes the calculation of the "body count" in the subject line difficult indeed. -- Yoshie