Advertising on cop cars

/ dave / arouet at winternet.com
Mon Dec 9 13:09:27 PST 2002

Red Wing considering advertising on squads The Associated Press

Published Dec. 9, 2002

RED WING, Minn. - Squad cars splattered with NASCAR-style advertising could be coming to this small town on the state's eastern border.

Advertising on squad cars is an idea that many law enforcement officials nationwide have initially scorned. On second look, some cash-strapped police department then say it's an offer that's hard to pass up.

North Carolina-based Government Acquisitions is offering new public safety cars for $1 each in exchange for allowing advertisements on the vehicles.

"Is sponsorship appropriate?" asked Rick Rabenort, public safety director. "Do you want a squad car in the city of Red Wing driving around with sponsorship on it?"

He has placed the issue on Monday nights City Council agenda to help him decide whether to pursue the idea.

According to the Government Acquisitions' Internet site, the company was formed in response to President Bush's call for increased homeland security. The company promises vehicles and equipment to qualifying government agencies that can't otherwise afford it.

"Appropriate" sponsors contract with the company, which in turn sells the equipment to agencies for $1. Vehicles are sold back for $1 to Government Acquisitions after three years.

The company's policy is to prohibit advertising for tobacco, alcohol, firearms and gaming.

"We're not sure we want to take advantage of the program," said Roger Hand, Red Wing's special operations director. "It's an odd concept."

More than 50 municipalities have signed contracts for the cars, and hundreds of others are interested. There have been successes, and failures.

John Crone, chief of police in Mooresville, N.C., a city of 20,000 located 30 miles north of Charlotte, wasn't crazy about the idea, but he signed up anyway.

With 42 auto racing teams in the area around Mooresville, the prospect of advertising on his squads seemed natural.

Crone, who is hoping for two dozen cars, hasn't seen one car delivered since he signed the contract in April. He was told that the corporation has yet to find a willing sponsor. He isn't too concerned.

"If we get the cars, we'll be happy," he said. "If we don't, no loss. We had nothing in the first place.

--

/ dave /