Lott on Thurmond

budge budge at el-pleasant.org
Tue Dec 10 10:57:47 PST 2002

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002 at 1:29pm H. Curtiss Leung wrote:

> Here's what I don't get about the Lott situation: a good
> number of Repugs are up in arms and saying that Lott
> should quit, but I don't see any of them repudiating
> Thurmond's racism, saying that he's also a disgrace to
> "the party of Lincoln."

Bill O'Reilly did it last night on his tv show and today on the radio. He is completely denouncing Thurmond as an unrecontructed racist, but it giving Lott the benefit of the doubt. (he has invoked the party of Lincoln trope as well)

But as for asking why Senators aren't doing it? Shit, the asshole Daschle is letting Lott off the hook, why would a Republican take him to task?

> Unless, of course, this amounts to an intra-party
> disciplinary act where the calls for resignation should
> be understood as saying, "Of course our party appeals to
> racist sympathies, but we're not supposed to talk about
> it in public!"
>
> Maybe Michael Pugliese knows of someone on the right who thinks Strom's
> a disgrace and, apropos of Lott's comments, has said so?
> --
> Curtiss

-- no Onan