Lott on Thurmond

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Dec 9 15:22:35 PST 2002

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, H. Curtiss Leung wrote:

> Here's what I don't get about the Lott situation: a good number of Repugs
> are up in arms and saying that Lott should quit, but I don't see any of
> them repudiating Thurmond's racism, saying that he's also a disgrace to
> "the party of Lincoln."

The thing that made Lott's comments even worse than Strom's history was that he wasn't just saying Strom had the right position in 1948 (which the Strom-friendly audience applauded) -- he seemed to be implying it would be the right position today, which made even Strom's people gasp.

To be fair, I think there's an even chance Lott didn't actually mean that -- that he was so swept up in his own inflated rhetoric about Strom being a great man (sniff) that he just dismissed all that segregation stuff from his mind as bygones (as people who were once for it are wont to do). Kind of the way admirers of Jimmy Carter forget about South Korea and El Salvador and Pol Pot.

Still, Lott is a racist pig, so there's a kind of poetic justice in hanging him for it.

Question: 30 years ago I read a detective story (or was it a movie?) where a guy came into an office and found someone he hated more than anyone in the world lying on the floor, shot dead by his own hand, the gun lying on the table. Overcome with jubilation, he picked up the gun and shot the corpse three more times. Standing there deep in thought, he went over his entire history with the dead man (which comprised the bulk of the story). At the end of his reverie he put the gun down on the desk, walked toward the door -- and in burst the police, saying they'd caught him red-handed, and Look Sarge, the gun's still warm!

Does anyone recognize this story? I feel like reading it again.

Michael