The Economics of P2P - Progressive?

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall at union.org.za
Fri Dec 13 12:10:28 PST 2002

"For all of these creative artists, most laboring in obscurity, being well-enough known to be pirated would be a crowning achievement. Piracy is a kind of progressive taxation, which may shave a few percentage points off the sales of well-known artists (and I say "may" because even that point is not proven), in exchange for massive benefits to the far greater number for whom exposure may lead to increased revenues.

Our current distribution systems for books, music, and movies are skewed heavily in favor of the "haves" against the "have nots." A few high-profile products receive the bulk of the promotional budget and are distributed in large quantities; the majority depend, in the words of Tennessee Williams' character Blanche DuBois, "on the kindness of strangers."

Full: http://www.openp2p.com/pub/a/p2p/2002/12/11/piracy.html --- Sent from UnionMail Service [http://mail.union.org.za]