military-industrial conflict

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Dec 18 08:49:47 PST 2002

Jeffrey Fisher wrote:

> hardt in the guardian
>
> but goes on to argue that global elites will kill it:
>
> [clip]
> "We can be confident that in the long run their real interests will
> lead global elites to support empire and refuse any project of US
> imperialism. In the coming months, and perhaps years, we may face a
> tragedy that we read about in the darkest periods of human history,
> when elites are incapable of acting in their own interest."

He loses you because he either does not recognize or dare not say what this opposition by "global elites" (if it comes) must amount to: A repeat of World War ONE. In other words, according to Hardt, Stalin was correct all the time about intra-imperialist war being still inevitable: he just mistimed by a century +/-.

Carrol