military-industrial conflict

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Dec 18 13:32:37 PST 2002

>Jeffrey Fisher wrote:
>>
>> hardt in the guardian
>>
>> but goes on to argue that global elites will kill it:
>>
>> [clip]
>> "We can be confident that in the long run their real interests will
>> lead global elites to support empire and refuse any project of US
>> imperialism. In the coming months, and perhaps years, we may face a
>> tragedy that we read about in the darkest periods of human history,
>> when elites are incapable of acting in their own interest."
>
>He loses you because he either does not recognize or dare not say what
>this opposition by "global elites" (if it comes) must amount to: A
>repeat of World War ONE. In other words, according to Hardt, Stalin was
>correct all the time about intra-imperialist war being still inevitable:
>he just mistimed by a century +/-.
>
>Carrol

Two cents from PEN-L & Marxmail, commenting on the same piece:

***** Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 12:48:43 -0800 From: "Devine, James" <jdevine at lmu.edu> To: "Pen-l (E-mail)" <pen-l at galaxy.csuchico.edu>

I never really understood the popularity of Hardt and Negri's book EMPIRE. (In fact, I put it down after a few pages, since it wasn't about imperialism as we know it.) But it's pretty clear from the article below why it's received such good press. It's basic to the liberal world-view that there's a difference between what's good for individuals and what's good for the society as a whole, though it's possible that we could all get together to attain the common good. In Hardt's view -- presented below -- US imperialism represents a particularistic force, going against what's good for the capitalist elites of the system as a whole (what he and Negri call "empire"). In a way, EMPIRE represents a call of "capitalists of the world unite!" for "empire." The intellectual hegemony of the liberal world-view and the idea that a good imperialism could be created -- if well-meaning elites unite, etc. -- explains the book's popularity.

As what seems to be an afterthought, Hardt mentions that "those who oppose the domination of global elites in the name of equality, freedom, and democracy will certainly find ways to struggle against it." To my mind, the real world of imperialism is partly a response to -- and an effort to suppress -- those who fight for equality, freedom, and democracy. So we can't leave the struggle against class domination as a mere afterthought. (Actually-existing imperialism is also partly a form of the normal "accumulation to attain monopoly" process that describes capitalism.)

[Yoshie: Hardt's article omitted] *****

***** Re: How to be a contortionist, by Michael Hardt To: marxism at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: How to be a contortionist, by Michael Hardt From: Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 10:12:43 -0500

Michael Keaney wrote:
> I'm looking forward to the Proyect commentary on this...

Glad to oblige.

> Folly of our masters of the universe
>
> Global elites must realise that US imperialism isn't in their interest
>
> Michael Hardt
> Wednesday December 18, 2002
> The Guardian
>
> Some of the worst tragedies of human history occur when elites are incapable
> of acting in their own interest. The waning years of ancient Rome, for
> example, were full of misguided political and military adventures that
> brought death and destruction to the elites, their allies and their enemies
> alike. Unfortunately we are again facing such a situation.

I think this dramatizes the liberalism that underlies much of Hardt's thinking, despite all the revolutionary phrase-making. The notion of "folly" permeates the Nation Magazine, which is constantly advising the ruling class and its politicians how right-minded, mature human beings should act--as if it was a question of George W. Bush or Bill Clinton for that matter being cajoled into behaving like Alan Alda or Phil Donohue. During the Vietnam war, especially during LBJ's administration, many decent people tried to analyzed it as a series of mistakes--like wrong moves in a chess game.

[The entire post is available at <http://www.columbia.edu/~lnp3/msg23236.html>.] *****

Jim and Lou can agree with each other when they are not on the same mailing list. -- Yoshie