A Hundred Peace Movements Bloom

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sun Dec 22 10:09:46 PST 2002

It's just that the mere existence of ANSWER gets me riled up.

Chuck0

Last afternnon attended an anti-war coalition meeting of the S.F. Town Hall Committee, about 40 showed up this time, mostly Trots (Jeff Mackler, Nat Weinstein, Carole Seligman, reprised the 60's/70's, SWP, "broadest possible united front, mass, peaceful march, " line), traditional peace mvmnt , and great folks like Ying Lee Kelley and a great funny fellow named George from the School of the America's Watch. Uhuru House walked out (just like I remember them doing at a larger by 2-3X crowd @ ILWU, Local 6 HQ in '91 at org. mtn. against Gulf War, version 1.0) and the ANSWER rep's face got redder and angrier as the three hour mtn. went on. Thirty-six out of the 40 or so attending voted to persue formal affiliation with United For Peace, start the march permit process for 2/15 and build later on on 4/26. Jeff Paterson from NION/Refuse & Resist hardly piped up.

One crack that broke up the room. Jeff Mackler while we were proposing group names (decided on, " Bay Area United Against War.") said, "The Group Without A Name." -- Michael Pugliese, riding That Horse With No Name,"{Refrain} I been through the desert on a horse with no name It felt good to be out of the rain In the desert your can remember your name Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain (la la la...)