A Hundred Peace Movements Bloom

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Dec 22 18:31:36 PST 2002

Michael Pugliese wrote:
> It's just that the mere existence of ANSWER gets me riled up.
>
> Chuck0
>
> Last afternnon attended an anti-war coalition meeting of the S.F. Town
> Hall Committee, about 40 showed up this time, mostly Trots (Jeff
> Mackler, Nat Weinstein, Carole Seligman, reprised the 60's/70's, SWP,
> "broadest possible united front, mass, peaceful march, " line),
> traditional peace mvmnt , and great folks like Ying Lee Kelley and a
> great funny fellow named George from the School of the America's Watch.
> Uhuru House walked out (just like I remember them doing at a larger by
> 2-3X crowd @ ILWU, Local 6 HQ in '91 at org. mtn. against Gulf War,
> version 1.0) and the ANSWER rep's face got redder and angrier as the
> three hour mtn. went on. Thirty-six out of the 40 or so attending voted
> to persue formal affiliation with United For Peace, start the march
> permit process for 2/15 and build later on on 4/26. Jeff Paterson from
> NION/Refuse & Resist hardly piped up.
> One crack that broke up the room. Jeff Mackler while we were proposing
> group names (decided on, " Bay Area United Against War.") said, "The
> Group Without A Name."

I just put up a big survey at Infoshop.org and I'm already getting a taste for what kind of activism is happening outside the big cities. There seems to be lots of anti-war activism going on out there.

Some of you may have heard about the anti-war protests that were called yesterday for shopping malls. I haven't heard any reportbacks, but the list I was on was getting last-minute emails from people looking for actions in their communities.

On a weird note about yesterday, the FBI issued a "threat advisory" based on some call to action that had been posted to Infoshop News. Perhaps somebody should ask that FBI whistleblower what the FBI was thinking.

Last night in Richmond, Virginia, a group of anarchists from this region had an anti-war protest which ended up with them battling it out with the cops. Seven of our guys got arrested.

I'm surprised that ANSWER's people even go to meetings like that. I wasn't aware that they gave a damn about democratic process. Doesn't Richard Becker just call the shots for San Francisco?

Good to hear that activists have come to their senses and are moving ahead with other plans.

Chuck0

------------------------------------------------------------ Personal homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/

"The state can't give you free speech, and the state can't take it away. You're born with it, like your eyes, like your ears. Freedom is something you assume, then you wait for someone to try to take it away. The degree to which you resist is the degree to which you are free..." ---Utah Phillips