Brazil Sends Gasoline at Venezuelan's Request

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat Dec 28 23:28:37 PST 2002

On Fri, 27 Dec 2002 Doug Henwood wrote:

> Cue to Nathan to tell us how this is strike-breaking.

I'm not sure what's going on at the oil installations can be classified as a strike in the sense in which you could have strike breaking. Certainly in other places it's a strike, and the leadership of the main confederation of unions is part of the opposition. And there is a tradition of calling caceroleros and similar kind of demonstrations strikes. But at the oil company, as far as I understand it, the union of oil workers, Fedepetrol, is against the shutdown; it's the professional management association, the "People of Petroleum," that is in favor of it. That's not a strike, that's a lockout. So breaking it would have to be counted as aiding the workers, no?

Michael