Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Dec 29 09:38:45 PST 2002

Carl Remick wrote:

>Hey, man, I was jes' talking 'bout my generation! As Easy Rider put
>it: "We blew it."

Compared to what? Tom Brokaw's Greatest Generation? The Lost Generation? Xers? Gen Y? Gen A'?

Yeah, I know it's fun to dis the 60s as a time of indulgence and stupidity and failure to stop the war machine. But most of those things that Chomsky says makes the U.S. a more civilized place now than 40 years ago started in the 60s, with folks in our cohort: feminism, Stonewall, the environmental movement, distrust of the system of imperial lies. "Vietnam syndrome" inhibited the U.S. ruling class for years. Lots of younger people took up the fight in subsequent years, but why be so pessimistic?

Doug