Offlist Re: Venezuelan strike beginning to fail

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Dec 31 12:28:50 PST 2002

David Schanoes wrote:

>Thought I tried. Ruthless doesn't seem to be permissible.

Ruthless isn't merely permissible, it's often welcome if well done. Doing it well, however, doesn't mean parachuting into a forum and lecturing people on topics they already know a lot about. Most participants (and nonposting subscribers) probably realize that class is very important, though they might not agree that it's the most important thing around. Many of us, including me, would accept the label Marxist, too. But you just announced that it's job 1 and then acted like political strategy and tactics flowed from that truth kernel self-evidently. It's not that easy. Very few people, and not just Americans, live their lives with class at the front of their minds and on the tips of their tongues. Unless your experience testifies to the contrary, in which case, we're all ears.

Doug