Offlist Re: Venezuelan strike beginning to fail

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Dec 31 13:29:21 PST 2002

David Schanoes wrote:

>Then maybe I missed some of the exchanges, but as near as I can figure, I
>didn't see any criticism of Lugar/Powell decision;

Jesus H Christ, the guy said that the best we could hope for right now was that the saner forces in the Rep party might keep the extremists from wilding across the globe. It's not like an endorsement.

> didn't see any criticism
>of the whole idea of baby-boomers, etc.

I could swear I did.

>I don't know how many Americans do or don't think about class, profit, oil,
>and the world market. But if we all know so much about class, about the
>things that have propelled revolutions before, why aren't they being
>discussed?

Discussed in small circles, yes. Haven't you noticed how depoliticized American society is, and how others are joining it? You think just saying "class" in a crowded meeting, much less a crowded bus, is going to have much effect?

Doug