Color of Anarchism Re: Protest ISO...

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Dec 31 14:38:49 PST 2002

At 11:46 AM -0800 12/31/02, Thomas Seay wrote:
>The black communities (as well as others) have their forms of organization.

They do, but that doesn't stop them from joining the Democrats, the Republicans, or any other organization.

At 11:46 AM -0800 12/31/02, Thomas Seay wrote:
>There is no need for a "recruitment" policy. No need UNLESS you
>believe in vanguardism and have to get everyone to unify around a
>party program. I suspect that it is this need for so-called unity
>(MEDIATED by a vanguard party) that drives much of this concern for
>recruitment of minorities.

Is it only the "vanguard parties" that should exhibit concern for recruitment of minorities? None of the institutions that I've mentioned as points of comparison -- the US military, corporations, the Bretton Woods institutions, the Democrats, the Republicans, etc. -- are what you call "vanguard parties." It seems they are interested at the very least for their own good; and so are most left-wing political organizations -- like the Labor Party, the Green Party, etc. -- though results vary. Why shouldn't anarchists be interested in recruitment of minorities or should they be less interested than political institutions that are not "vanguard parties"?

At 11:46 AM -0800 12/31/02, Thomas Seay wrote:
>Minorities have and will continue to revolt. I wonder what would
>have happened during the LA riots if the WWP had been leading that
>revolt (they probably would have requested that the rioters wait and
>get a march permit from the police). Let each of us revolt and
>demonstrate in our own way and not impose our expectations and our
>model on others.

You mean the 1991 LA riot? It wasn't a "black riot." What is often overlooked are the uprising's multiracial character -- whites, Latinos, and others participated in looting, etc.; multiple causes of the uprising (economic distress, chronic police brutality and racial profiling, the fact that a teenage black girl named Latasha Harlins was shot to death by a female Korean grocery owner Soon Ja Du inside her shop and she was given probation, etc.); effects of the uprising, for instance on Latinos:

***** L.A. RIOTS: Latinos & L.A. Uprising: Economic Context

...With assistance from the LAPD the INS conducted sweeps through riot torn areas. As a result of these actions over 800 individuals were deported, nearly all of whom were Latino.... <http://www.hhh.umn.edu/pubpol/pubpol-d/199505/0064.html> *****

Did the uprising have a lasting impact on LA, making it a better place, economically and politically?

***** Ten years have passed and things have only changed on the surface. Scratch a little deeper, and the truth is painfully clear. More than $3 billion has been spent renovating the facades of the buildings so businesses could re-open, but the people of South Central live with a 25 percent unemployment rate. LAPD had to pull its reputation out of the mud, but consistency has eluded it. In only 10 years, four different police chiefs have tried and failed. And Rodney King, the fallen hero, what became of him? Today, on the 10th anniversary of the verdict, he is living in a drug-rehab clinic and back in trouble with the law.

<http://wildcat.arizona.edu/papers/95/147/03_3.html> ***** -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/>