Venezuelan strike beginning to fail

Todd Archer todda39 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 31 17:27:24 PST 2002

David said:

>Thanks for the advice. I'm sure I'll follow it to the letter.

You're welcome. Pity you're not.

>Excuse me, it was my mistake. I read the intro to this list and it >said
>"Marxist." I thought, incorrectly, that meant Marxist.

Considering the Marx himself said, "I am not a Marxist", what were you expecting?

http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1890/letters/90_08_05.htm

>So I did watch and listen for awhile. And I got arguments about
>generational failure, "baby boomers," whether anarchists are diverse
> >enough to qualify for, what?, whether or not there is a movement
> >sufficiently developed to oppose US policies,obviously not, but so
> >what?, and last but not least, Richard Lugar as a reed, glimmer of >hope,
>a twin star with Colin Powell. Well, if that's Marxism, I'm in >the wrong
>place.

The intro also says this:

"lbo-talk is an email-based mailing list for disucssing politics, economics, and culture, all expansively defined, sponsored by this newsletter.

Despite that sponsorship, I hope this list will be a forum for speaking across intellectual and social boundaries that have divided the left, such as it is, for too long. Among these oppositions I'd like to see worked through are ones like class/identity, cultural politics/"real" politics, Marxism/postmodernism, universal/particularist, activism/theory, economics/culture, nature/labor; nature/culture, and labor/culture."

>I don't think it's easy to change anything. I just think it's >necessary,
>and necessary to begin the process at the ground level. That would preclude
>discussions of baby boomers, enlightened generals. >and other bourgeois
>beacons of hope. That means, at the start, >jettisoning all analyses that
>don't focus on class, and class as the >revolutionary agent.

Did you just come back from some cadre meeting or something? Pledging in stentorian tones your blood and bone, first born, etc. to abolishing capital, then sealing the holy vow with a secret handshake?

>Pissing people off? Hope so. Nothing wrong with that.

So brainlessly pissing off possible friends and allies by lecturing at them is the same as pissing off the bourgeoise by speaking truth to them? Beware of your Platonism.

>Insulting? Maybe. But don't you regard the canonization, however weak, >of
>Powell and Lugar as an insult? And if you don't why not?

He wasn't canonizing them. Michael said this:

<It may be sad, but compared to Jesse Helms, Lugar is the embodiment of <internationalism. And frankly, I'm not sure he's any worse than the <outgoing Biden. <I think it's probable in the next two years that he'll be our second <weak reed of hope in foreign affairs, next to Powell, sad as that may <seem.

http://squawk.ca/lbo-talk/0212/1537.html

That's called "awareness of actually existing conditions," my fair ultra. Lots harder to do than mindless parroting.

>Anyway, I don't wish to disturb the comfortable nature of your >discussions
>any longer. Anybody who wants to discuss, argue, try pissing me off can
>contact me >at: dmsch at attglobal.net. I won't bother the rest of you any
>longer.

What, you still here, Obnoxio? Good for you. Maybe you'll learn something.

Todd

_________________________________________________________________ The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail