Why We Are Not Making Demands of the World Economic Forum

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Feb 1 06:48:12 PST 2002

On Thu Jan 31 2002, Chuck Munson wrote:

> I hear from friends that Manhattan has been turned into a militarized
> police state.

That was the headline on the front page of the New York Daily News (one of the two big tabloids) yesterday: ARMED CAMP. The full page picture was of two cops with submachine guns.

I remember Doug saying in a discussion not long after Seattle that things would have turned out differently in New York because it was so much bigger and had so many more cops. 6,000 last I heard, plus feds and private security firms.

But anarchists have faced even more militarized set-ups in Europe, no? If there's been no clashes so far, I think in part it's because there's been less will to have clashes.

Michael