Why We Are Not Making Demands of the World Economic Forum

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Feb 1 08:20:05 PST 2002

Michael Pollak wrote:

>I remember Doug saying in a discussion not long after Seattle that things
>would have turned out differently in New York because it was so much
>bigger and had so many more cops. 6,000 last I heard, plus feds and
>private security firms.

They had something like 1,200 cops in Seattle - the whole police force. The NYPD is deploying almost 4,000 a day for the WEF. At the end of WTO week, I went up to a bunch of Seattle cops and said, "I'm from New York, and I don't think this could have happened there." One cop answered, "Yes. The NYPD knows how to do crowd control. No one on the west coast does."

Doug