Israel jails 600 reservists

Bryan Atinsky bryan at indymedia.org.il
Sat Feb 2 03:37:35 PST 2002

Hello Peoples,

Yesh Gvul ("There is a Limit/Border"), one of the two main conscientious objector organizations (Yesh Gvul backs soldiers who refuse 'certain' assignments "supporting soldiers who refuse assignments of a repressive or aggressive nature," while New Profile is a conscientious objector organization in the more explicit sense)...Anyway, Yesh Gvul published this petition (in Hebrew and English) onto the Indymedia Israel site yesterday.

Hebrew version: http://www.indymedia.org.il/imc/israel/webcast/display.php3?article_id=13938

English version: http://www.indymedia.org.il/imc/israel/webcast/13939.html

Here is the Petition: ----------------------

Due to the publication of the "Officers' Letter" and its condemnation by the IDF General Staff and various politicians, who are trying to portray the refusal to serve in the Occupied Territories as an immoral and marginal act, we, of "Yesh Gvul", intend to publish a petition in Haaretz in the next few days.

Following are two versions of the petition, one for soldiers and the other for supporters of selective refusal. We ask those who support the petition to sign and return it to:

peretz at yesh-gvul.org

Despite a semblance of Palestinian autonomy - on just one fifth of the occupied territories - the occupation goes on and on. Over thirty years of occupation and repression have not halted the Palestinian campaign for national independence.

The war conducted by the Israeli government for the lands of Ariel and Bethel, in defence of the pogromists of Itamar and Beit Hadassah, for the continued occupation of Netzarim and Kiryat Arba, for the continued hold on Rachel's Tomb - all this is not our war.

(for soldiers)

We the undersigned, IDF soldiers, declare that we will have no part in the continued repression of the Palestinian people in the occupied territories, and we will take no part in policing assignments or guarding the settlements serving those ends.

(for civilians)

We the undersigned, are civilians who, support those soldiers whom declare that they will have no part in the continued repression of the Palestinian people in the occupied territories, and who will take no part in policing assignments or guarding the settlements serving those ends.

Name:

Rank (for soldiers only):

Address:

Telephone: