Interview with Hardt; My two cents on P.A.

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Feb 2 13:03:15 PST 2002

Hakki Alacakaptan wrote:

>Hardt should try reading the papers instead of Dutch sociologists: The EU
>and NATO have spoken out against US intentions of widening the war. The EU
>has condemned the treatment of Taliban POW's. EU countries are constantly
>complaining about US unilateralism. The US is going out of its way to
>undermine treaties and other legal institutions devised for managing
>globalization. The US surplus-become-deficit is threatening global economic
>recovery. If the US govt is still somehow "managing global capital" despite
>the mayhem it's creating it must be in strange and unseen ways.
>
>Dubya & S11 have simply blown "Empire" out of the water and it's only the
>left's unwillingness to part wth a shiny new theory that's postponing the
>death verdict.

It's not over yet, you know. W & Co. could be fighting a rear-guard battle. I've been hanging around the WEF the last few days, and there's a lot of displeasure with U.S. unilateralism around. I just heard a press conference by former Senator Sam Nunn - a hawkish Democrat - who was clearly, though discreetly, distressed by Bush's rhetoric about North Korea. He said (and this is very close to a direct quote): "The State Department made it clear that Bush wasn't speaking necessarily of a military response, though that's the way it was interpreted. There's a lot of diplomatic work to be done."

So let's reconvene in a year or three.

Doug