Interview with Hardt; My two cents on P.A.

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Sat Feb 2 20:39:49 PST 2002

Doug, if you've been at the Waldorf-Astoria, what evidence did you see of South Africa (aside from Tutu/Bono photo ops)? This AM's Jo'burg papers are full of a) the great successes of Mbeki pushing the New Partnership for Africa's Development; b) Trevor Manuel's suave role as one of six rapperteurs; and c) the much "tougher" stance Mbeki is taking against Mugabe... All these, to a hardened cynic, represent the latest twirls in the dance routine, but what do you see?