Interview with Hardt; My two cents on P.A.

Eric Beck rayrena at realtime.net
Mon Feb 4 19:57:59 PST 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:

>and the ruling classes of Western Europe are not pleased with the
>"axis of evil" line. It's going to be very important, and
>fascinating, to see how this plays out over the next few years.

Speaking of unilateralism, Israel/Palestine is another potential point of conflict between the U.S. and Europe, or at least the EU would like to have you believe so. This report is from Haaretz. Israel says Arafat is irrelevant and calls the PA terrorists, but refuses to allow elections that might get rid of said irrelevants and terrorists. Amazing, but not surprising.

U.S. rejects EU proposal on Mideast conflict

By Eluf Benn

The United States has rejected a European initiative to convene an international conference aimed at immediately renewing the political process. The plan would work toward a resolution of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, alongside the implementation of security measures to ensure a cease-fire and wage war on terrorism.

European Union representatives Javier Solana and Miguel Moratinos raised the idea of the international conference at a meeting last Thursday in Washington of the "quartet" of international mediators - headed by U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for Near Eastern Affairs William Burns - who are working in the region.

The meeting was attended by representatives of the U.S., the European Union, the United Nations and Russia.

As an alternative to an international conference, Solana suggested adopting the French plan for new elections in the territories, which was formulated in consultation with senior officials in the Palestinian Authority.

Both proposals were supported by the UN's Middle East envoy, Terje Larsen.

Israel is opposed to both ideas and, according to well-placed sources in Jerusalem, "The European proposals will split the international community and will only serve as a reward and encouragement for the terror of [Palestinian Authority Chairman Yasser] Arafat."

The U.S. administration also voiced its opposition to the suggestions of the Europeans, with its representatives telling Solana and Moratinos that this was the time to focus on the security issues at hand only and to apply coordinated pressure on the Palestinian Authority, which, the U.S. officials said, was not taking the appropriate and required steps against terrorism.

The Americans also came out against a proposal that the "quartet" function as a single body that would make parallel demands from both the Israelis and the Palestinians.

Despite Washington's position, the Europeans did not give up, suggesting on Friday to sponsor the meeting between Foreign Minister Shimon Peres and the speaker of the PA parliament, Abu Ala. The two agreed. Solana was unable to make the meeting, but Moratinos and an aide sat in on the talks for a while before leaving Peres and Abu Ala to themselves.

Israeli sources said that this was the Europeans' way of telling Washington that if the United States did not increase its involvement in the process, the EU would embark on an independent policy and push the process forward on its own.