Candidate calls NAACP 'terrorists'

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Feb 3 10:23:05 PST 2002

[Thanks to Kirsten for this]

http://www.GoUpstate.com/docs/News/gen/4473.asp

Spartanburg Herald Journal [Spartanburg, South Carolina]

January 29, 2002

Candidate calls NAACP 'terrorists'

GOP gubernatorial candidate Reb Sutherland called the NAACP "domestic

terrorists" in a letter to Gov. Jim Hodges last week.

By Joel D. Sawyer

GOP gubernatorial candidate Reb Sutherland called the NAACP "domestic

terrorists" in a letter to Gov. Jim Hodges last week.

Sutherland's letter also says if Hodges fails to have the NAACP's

leadership arrested and prosecuted once the organization's planned

"border patrols" are implemented, Hodges would be subject to

impeachment.

In a continuing effort to have the Confederate flag removed from the

Statehouse grounds, the NAACP has announced plans to begin border

patrols at entrance points to South Carolina.

Participants in the patrols will hold protests in an attempt to

discourage tourists from spending money in South Carolina.

Sutherland said the border patrols would intimidate tourists, and thus

fall under the FBI's definition of terrorism.

"Is there a guarantee that somebody from the NAACP won't chuck a rock

at a car?" Sutherland said. "Or somebody who's not an NAACP member may

come and stand with them and pull out a gun."

Sutherland said that groups have a right to boycott and a right to

protest, but do not have a right to combine the two for the purposes

of "economic sanctions."

"It's a hairline split, and that's why I think this will be hard for

people to see," Sutherland said.

James Gallman, president of the state NAACP, brushed off Sutherland's

comments.

"Consider the source," Gallman said. "This is another one of these

gubernatorial candidates grandstanding and trying to call attention to

themselves."

"We have always peacefully demonstrated and we have always obeyed the

law," Gallman said. "I don't think the NAACP could be characterized as

a terrorist organization."

Gallman said the group will implement the patrols in a few weeks after

the group's lawyers determine where they can protest.

Reports that the NAACP is planning to stage their protests at rest

stops were not accurate, Gallman said.

Hodges spokesman Jay Reiff was asked if the governor was concerned

about Sutherland's threats of impeachment.

"In a word, no," Reiff said. "This hasn't exactly sent our legal team

scrambling."