Bill Gates takes rich to task

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Mon Feb 4 13:27:27 PST 2002

The way Gates got rich was illegitimate but the way he is spending the proceeds is, as far as I can tell, quite admirable. He is following in the footsteps of the elder Rockefeller, but more consciously and earlier in his connection of private philanthropy to the broader social conditions.

And in a return to Cold War military-scientific investments in public research, Bush announced today that there will be a massive infusion of funds to the NIS and CDC for "bioterror" research that will include a lot of basic research on vaccinations and public health.

The CATO institute has to be just curled up in a ball, since every libertarian impulse on right and left is under attack in the wake of 911 and Enron. The military-fascist expression of that anti-libertarianism is doing best so far, but there are some odd openings for progressive interventions as well, the public health issue being one of the most prominent as evidenced by Bush's budget allocation.

-- Nathan Newman

[from a WEF press release]