Bill Gates takes rich to task

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Tue Feb 5 08:14:56 PST 2002

Cian O'Connor wrote:

> --- Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote: > Kevin
> Robert Dean wrote:
> >
> > >And according to the Times of India, Bono had this
> > >say about the drug companies:
> > >
> > >"I don't think they (the big pharmaceutical
> > companies)
> > >are the bete noir that all my friends think. I
> > think
> > >they need to make profits, we need to do research,"
> > >Bono said.
> >
> > That's not the way I remember it - they need to make
> > profits so they
> > can do the research. He also uttered a lot of crap
> > about not pitting
> > good guys against bad guys, since we all need to
> > work together, etc.
>
> Except they don't do the research do they. Publicly
> funded universities do.

I did a talk show last week on KIRO out in Seattle. I got grilled about the WEF protests and anarchism, but I stuck around and took calls. At one point a caller asked me about my comments about TRIPS and AIDS drugs in South Africa. It turned out that she worked for a pharmaceutical company, which she claimed didn't use any government money to develop new drugs. When I tired to make a similar point about publicly funded universities, the host and the caller went off on me for making a "tenuous" argument.

I guess talk radio can't handle the underlying way things work, including basic stuff like the dissemination of scientific research through journal literature.

<< Chuck0 >>

Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"Chuck Munson isn't like other protestors."

-- CTV