bad nooz for Dems

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Tue Feb 5 06:12:01 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter K." <peterk at enteract.com>

>Gore handed Shrub the election. He seems to be coming back for
>more, too.

I have all the criticism of Gore in the world - remember I was the one who bet on him blowing the election, while everyone on this list was confidently predicting he would win the election.

But the fact is that he won more votes than Bush and actually won a higher percentage of the vote than any Democrat since 1976. And if Nader hadn't divided the progressive vote, he would have translated that numerical vote into winning the election.

Folks can blame Gore for all his failings, justifiably, but the refusal to deal with Nader's responsibility as well shows how absolutely resistant third party folks are to analysis. They make predictions and when they are proven false, they just pretend they didn't make them.

Nader folks said that electing Bush would make little difference and that Gore's defeat would force the Democrats to move left. Both predictions have proved to be massively false.

So again I ask, name one good thing that has come from Nader's run for the Presidency?

-- Nathan Newman