the NYC demos: a report

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Tue Feb 5 08:20:04 PST 2002

Liza Featherstone wrote:

> I also agree partly with your other points. I think anti-capitalism is a
> fine term; the only reason I don't use it is that I don't think it describes
> the movement in the United States accurately, though perhaps it will
> someday. As you know, there are plenty of people at those protests who think
> capitalism can be reformed, and plenty of others who don't.
> "Anti-capitalist" has more bite than "global justice," and I like that, but
> it's just not representative enough of the movement. Further, I agree
> there's nothing wrong with being "anti" in this rotten system, but at some
> point people do want to be able to talk about what they are fighting for.
> Slogans like "Another World is Possible" however lame, vague and sanitized
> you might find them, represent some beginning attempts to think about that.
> I think that's a good thing.

My base problem here is this belief that we are talking about "one movement." This kind of thinking pervades the old left and isn't an accurate way to describe what is happening. We're actually talking about a "convergence of movements", in other words, the Net War that was described in the Rand reports and in the writing of Harry Cleaver. I'm willing to call the moderate, reformist tendency the "anti-corporate globalization movement," since that is how they self-identify. Now, how about the other major tendency, which calls itself the "anti-capitalist movement"? Lumping the anti-capitalists in with the former is offensive.

<< Chuck0 >>

Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"Chuck Munson isn't like other protestors."

-- CTV