the NYC demos: a report

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Tue Feb 5 07:02:08 PST 2002

Thanks Chuck. Actually I completely agree about this:

> * It would be nice to see some effort made by writers that anarchists do
> alot of the organizing and shitwork that makes these events happen.
> While I don't mind the flack that the anarchist street militants get, it
> would be fair if independent journalists mentioned the "rest of the
> story."

You're right. That should always be emphasized and I'm sorry my piece didn't.

I also agree partly with your other points. I think anti-capitalism is a fine term; the only reason I don't use it is that I don't think it describes the movement in the United States accurately, though perhaps it will someday. As you know, there are plenty of people at those protests who think capitalism can be reformed, and plenty of others who don't. "Anti-capitalist" has more bite than "global justice," and I like that, but it's just not representative enough of the movement. Further, I agree there's nothing wrong with being "anti" in this rotten system, but at some point people do want to be able to talk about what they are fighting for. Slogans like "Another World is Possible" however lame, vague and sanitized you might find them, represent some beginning attempts to think about that. I think that's a good thing.

Liza