Off List Re: bad nooz for Dems

virgil tibbs sheik_of_encino at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 6 08:57:11 PST 2002

One of the things most activists fail to realize (or refuse to accept) is that most people do not agree (an probably never agree) with them and "rightness" is irrelevant. That is the sad and sorry truth. Thus, you will face such obstacles no matter how "right" you happen to be.

Unless you have better rhetoric than the other guy and speak within a narrow band of accepted discourse you will always be marginalized. What made Nader such a bad candidate was his terrible rhetoric and style. (This was the point of the recent "burn the banks" debate here on the list.)

The republicans understand this and the dems do, to a degree. That is why you see those memos by operatives with lists of good words and bad words to use.

One classic example is the republicans trotting out "class warfare" bullshit whenever confronted with the truth about the inequality of wealth, etc. Liberals have yet to find a language that resonates.

Although I think that people do want something and someone to believe in, not enough of them want that person to be a liberal.

eric dorkin