bad nooz for Dems

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Thu Feb 7 12:56:43 PST 2002

Carrol wrote:
> The tragedy is that only in isolated bits of time and bits of space do
> "we" ever even get the "incremental progress."

Repugs were saying the same thing after the Goldwater debacle and during the Nixon years.

> How are the wage increases of the late '90s
> holding up, incidentally?

What's the import of this question? We've experienced a terror and war induced recession over the past year.

> And of course as Carter's national security chief has told us, Carter &
> Co. deliberately triggered the long tragedy of Afghanistan. And if it
> _did_ actually bring about the downfall of the USSR, then Carter and the
> Democrats are reponsible for every unnecessary death in the fSU for the
> last 12 years.

If you're willing to credit them with any future surplus gain, I think this is eminently fair.

> Were there the _least_ evidence that the Democrats could bring us an
> real improvement, however incremental, in human life I'd be willing to
> work for them pending a serious opening for a new Communist Party. But
> there is no such evidence.

While, there was the New Deal, and then the Great Society (which was passed by one of the more reactionary Dems to ever hold office). There would've been no tax cut and no bankruptcy "reform" with a president Gore. That might not be progress, but I'd take it over the alternative.

> As someone in Chicago mentioned yesterday, the current (corrupt)
> Republican Governor is the most liberal governor (or candidate for the
> governorship) that we have had in years in Illinois. His Democratic
> opponent 4 years ago deserved the epithet pig as richly as any
> politician or cop in the nation, Democratic or Repbuplican.

So Republicans run left in liberal states? You're kidding me, right? You should've left the English department in favor of polysci to write extensively on this well-hidden phenomenon.

> Any one who seriously believes in the lesser evil argument should vote
> Republican.

As usual, too clever by half.

-- Luke