polygamy

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Thu Feb 7 11:14:51 PST 2002

joanna bujes:
> Jeez, where to begin? Men have a stronger sex drive than women? I guess
> that's why when I have sex with men, it's all over in, oh, 30 minutes;
> whereas, when I have sex with women, it lasts all night. What men truly
> don't get about women is that women don't like to fuck assholes; that's not
> the same thing as not having a sex drive. When men grow beyond the
> itch/scratch level of sex, they might discover that women have a sex drive.
>
> I'd venture to guess that polygamy is not about sex but about power. The
> ratio of men to women is roughly equal, so if one guy gets four women,
> another guy gets none. Thus, polygamy defines a hierarachy among men as
> well as keeps women in their place: the guys who don't get women are
> frustrated (hence more likely to be sexually aggressive), thus women are
> more likely to be raped/attacked, thus needing more "protection." What a
> fucking nightmare!

Mark Twain wrote an essay in which he theorized that men had a sexual capacity about 1/4 that of women, on the average (or I think it was 1/4; I read it a long time ago), so that a man with four wives would be wasting 15/16ths of their sexual capacity.

However, I think the problem is cultural rather than physical. After all, you can mess around sexually all you want, as long as you want to, in some way or other, whatever sex you may be. Men still think they have to _produce_ and/or _conquer_, however, and that takes 30 minutes (I guess). Blame it on capitalism. After the revolution we'll all be polymorphously perverse and have lots of time, too.

-- Gordon