Interview with Hardt; My two cents on P.A.

Charles Jannuzi jannuzi at edu00.f-edu.fukui-u.ac.jp
Fri Feb 8 00:58:13 PST 2002

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Charles Jannuzi wrote:

> I was talking about 'total services' software companies, Dennis.

DR Redmond replied:

>That's exactly what videogame >companies are nowadays; it's not about
>designing plug-in cards, Shigeru >Miyamoto & co. spend all their time
>running code, listening to consumers, >etc.

I don't play video games, so as far as I can tell they don't sell me a single service, let alone a complete set of them. I was talking about software services to companies, governments, schools and third sector organizations. If you want to argue Nintendo and Sony Games Division are complete service companies, I'll say, go ahead and do it. But IBM Japan, Fujitsu, Hitachi and NEC are closer to all the definitions I know.

Then me earlier:
> Typed like a true consumer utopist, Dennis. What in the heck are they
going
> to spend it on?

Then Dennis again:

>High-value software, videos and >cellphones, of course.

They already are, and I would bet their spending patterns match right up there with North Americans and Europeans in all those areas. For one thing, all this stuff fits in their cramped living spaces (which is why notebooks and handhelds are popular). Japan was the first country to adopt widespread car navigation systems (and they do work), too.

What is your take on MS's big move to sell their game station to Japan? It's a hit in the home market, but can they go up against Nintendo and Sony in Japan and still look good? For one thing, they seem to be trying to make a bit of money off the hardware--bad idea. I've heard advanced orders are slow. I'm hoping they fall flat on their faces and limp off to Europe.

Charles Jannuzi