MS's move into games

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Sun Feb 10 18:30:47 PST 2002

On Sat, 9 Feb 2002, Charles Jannuzi wrote:

> Apparently a Korean company has beaten them to the market in getting an
> online games site up for the Japanese market. One of the Xbox's features is
> supposed to be capability to do online gaming. Or maybe that Korean site is

Korea has an impressive PC gaming scene, topnotch game firms etc., mostly because of a deep antipathy against Japan due to all the usual colonial reasons, plus the developmental state has spent a lot in rolling out broadband cable.

I read somewhere that the first Japanese movie to be officially approved for distribution in Korea, after a 50-year ban, was Pokemon, in December 2001 (you could get stuff black market, of course, but this apparently was a breakthrough).The covert processes of East Asianization are way ahead of where governments are at, sort of like the European Community in the 1970s.

-- Dennis