Twinkling

bartelbyvqf at cs.com bartelbyvqf at cs.com
Mon Feb 11 14:28:24 PST 2002

Rather than reply below I will post my opinions up top to save folks on the troublesome scrolling. Consensus and twinkling and other trappings of white youth activist culture while they may not have initially emerged from that subculture. However they are now de facto essential to it almost exclusively. I think that de jure/de facto questions of gender/racial composition and the denial of a defacto leadership in this model of organization are the key problems of the iceberg of which twinkling is only the tip. the priciple of telling press/cops "we have no leaders" is entirely rhetorical or a matter of security. There are de facto leaders whose ascent to leadership as well as their capacity as leaders are obscured by this "process." In my experience the use of "consensus" process is more about faciliting young white folks ability to plug into the meeting as they are rolling through town over the summer or hopping from convergence to the next. Same activist ghetto, same process, Bay Area, Chicago, Vancouver, etc. Don't kid me that it facilitates the inclusion of single mother! 's, people of color or anyone without strawberry blond dreadlocks. The other problem is the conflation of consensus process with political program or theory. We don't need a program, we don't need a theory if we run meetings like this our movement will naturally pursue the correct path. This is the operating principle of the Ouija board. OK done, mcapri

P.S. See below in case you are confused as to what I am talking about.