Twinkling

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Mon Feb 11 17:17:54 PST 2002

bartelbyvqf at cs.com wrote:

> Rather than reply below I will post my opinions up top to save folks on the troublesome scrolling.
> Consensus and twinkling and other trappings of white youth activist culture while they may not have initially emerged from that subculture. However they are now de facto essential to it almost exclusively.

Well, our local Anti-Capitalist Convergence includes many young people and we don't do twinkling. I do it occassionally, but I picked up that bad habit from the Mobilization.

>I think that de jure/de facto questions of gender/racial composition and the denial of a defacto leadership in this model of organization are the key problems of the iceberg of which twinkling is only the tip.

Twinkling has nothing to do with gender/racial composition of these groups. From my experience, I have found that criticisms of things like twinkling, when made in conjunction with criticism of the demographics of an anti-capitalist group, are usually made by left vanguardists who seek to eliminate the anarchist influences on group methodology.

>the priciple of telling press/cops "we have no leaders" is entirely rhetorical or a matter of security.

The movement has no leaders. It's that simple.

>There are de facto leaders whose ascent to leadership as well as their capacity as leaders are obscured by this "process."

Again, there are no leaders.

>In my experience the use of "consensus" process is more about faciliting young white folks ability to plug into the meeting as they are rolling through town over the summer or hopping from convergence to the next. Same activist ghetto, same process, Bay Area, Chicago, Vancouver, etc. Don't kid me that it facilitates the inclusion of single mother!

I've seen plenty of single mothers who fully participate in twinkling and the consensus process.

I'm not going to attempt to address your attempt to use prejudice against traveling youth to smear a decision-making process.

> 's, people of color or anyone without strawberry blond dreadlocks.
> The other problem is the conflation of consensus process with political program or theory. We don't need a program, we don't need a theory if we run meetings like this our movement will naturally pursue the correct path.
> This is the operating principle of the Ouija board.
> OK done,
> mcapri
>
> P.S. See below in case you are confused as to what I am talking about.

It's pretty clear what you are talking about. You are trying to dismiss a time-honored way of making decisions by associating it with stereotypes about anti-capitalist activists.

I hear that the New York Post is hiring. You should apply for a job covering protesters.

<< Chuck0 >>

Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"Chuck Munson isn't like other protestors."

-- CTV