British not patsies!

Greg Schofield g_schofield at dingoblue.net.au
Mon Feb 11 15:53:20 PST 2002

Ameria's drive towards unilateralism defines the Bush administration, I believe they will keep pushing the enevlope on this only constrained by what they get away with domestically.

If the US allies have been sycophantic in the the past they now must become abject subjects to White house will. I believe there are too many contradictions for this to come about but I am sure Australia is a case in point of just what is expected even if most nations will have too much pride to descend to our level.

Interestingly despite all the Australian Prime Minister's echoing of each American policy turn as his own, despite the services rendered in treating refeguees as criminals and our nations contributions to the war in Afghanistan, young Bush would not condescend to even speaking to our local Quisling when he visited.

A small matter, no doubt, but a symbolic one of what is expected these days. Not only are allies expected to become subservient, but they must also be seen to be so. Bushy is so enamoured by his need to the ultimate authority even the veneer of consultation is too much to bear.

There is an element of fatal fanatsy in all this, the baby boots Caligual routine is simply unrealistic and self-delusional. By spurning sychophantic multi-laterialism - which admittedly was as far as multi-lateralism really ever reached - is not Bush providing the ground for some real multilateralism. AT one point or another his "allies" will cool off completely and wonder whether more strength might be obtained by a wider alliance which sidesteps America.

Obviously this will not happen anytime soon, but already America has damaged itself - contiunuing as it is cannot have any other effect then the break-up of the American empire - can any one read it differently?

--- Message Received --- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 16:50:53 -0500 Subject: British not patsies!

[of course you can tell the author's a terror-symp by his name]

Observer (London) - February 10, 2002

UK tells White House to rein in the hawks Kamal Ahmed, political editor

Britain revealed its increasing irritation with America over the war against terrorism yesterday when senior Government sources said that hawkish elements in the White House were using 'unnecessarily belligerent' language.

Referring to President Bush's comment that Iraq, Iran and North Korea formed an 'axis of evil', Whitehall officials said that it was becoming increasingly difficult to back fully the US stance.

Peter Hain, the Europe Minister, strengthened the sense of growing tension when he said yesterday that Britain would not be America's 'patsy'.

While insisting that the Government was still a 'steadfast ally' of Washington, he said that Britain was independent when it came to foreign affairs.

His comments come the day after Chris Patten, the European Commissioner for international relations, who is known to be close to Tony Blair, attacked Washington for its 'absolutist and simplistic' approach.

'There is more to be said for trying to engage and to draw these societies into the international communities than to cut them off,' he said in an interview with The Guardian.

Lionel Jospin, the French Prime Minister, also warned the US not to give in to 'the strong temptation of unilateralism'.

Addressing a Fabian conference on world affairs, Hain highlighted the growing thaw in relations with both Iran and North Korea, despite the recent spat over the new British ambassador to Tehran.

The Iranian authorities have refused to accept the new ambassador, David Reddaway, accusing him of being 'a Jew' and in MI6. In a tit-for-tat move, Britain downgraded the Iranian ambassador to London to the status of chargù d'affaires.

'There are still elements in the US who want to act unilaterally rather than multilaterally, in isolation from, rather than in co-operation with, other nations,' Hain said. 'The question is how can we build on the international unity following September 11 to create a new world order shaped by our values of democracy, human rights, environmental protection, equality and justice."

Or, he asked, 'will it be shaped by a quite different agenda, driven by hawks on Capitol Hill, let off the hook by rejectionists and cynics worldwide?'

Privately, the Government is going much further in its criticism of US tactics and attempting to promote Colin Powell, the Secretary of State, who is seen as a restraining influence on Bush and Donald Rumsfeld, the Defence Secretary.

However, a source close to the Prime Minister said: 'We cannot engage in the type of megaphone diplomacy that Chris Patten has deployed. We have far more influence remaining inside the tent [with America] than outside it.'

Asked whether the 'axis of evil' comment had been a useful addition to the debate on terrorism, the official said: 'Let's put it this way, it is not phrase we would have used.'

Greg Schofield Perth Australia g_schofield at dingoblue.net.au _______________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Use LesTecML Mailer (http://www.lestec.com.au/) * Powerful filters. * Create you own headers. * Have email types launch scripts. * Use emails to automat your work. * Add comments on receive. * Use scripts to extract and check emails. * Use MAID to create taylor-made solutions. * LesTecML Mailer is fully controlled by REXX. * A REXX interpreter is freely available. _______________________________________________ _______________________________________________