Iran/Iraq

Vikash Yadav vikash1 at ssc.upenn.edu
Mon Feb 11 21:29:06 PST 2002

Thomas,

I assume that a reason to include Iran in the "axis" would be because Iran is an alleged supporter of Hamas; and therefore a threat to our regional ally. The other (and more influential) reason to include Iran on the hit list probably has to do with Iran's potential to develop and deliver weapons of mass destruction. The CIA projected a few years ago that Iran could test an Intermediate Range Ballistic Missile or a Land Attack Cruise missile by 2004. The testing of an ICBM or space launch vehicle could be around the corner. If these missiles technologies are developed they could certainly represent a direct military threat to the US global hegemony. The "war on terrorism" is probably the best excuse that the US has had in years to take out the Iranian WMD infrastructure.

Nevertheless, I think you are right that it does not make sense to open up two fronts right next to one another. However, the US did attempt a "dual containment" strategy during the Iran-Iraq War whereby we supplied both sides with weapons. Given the US's general disregard for human life in these countries, I am not surprised that the US is willing to threaten both countries at the same time. I assume the Pentagon has adopted a 'kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out' attitude (unless they are just bluffing to scare the crap out of both countries).

Best,

Vikash Yadav Philadelphia, PA

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of Thomas Seay Sent: Monday, February 11, 2002 11:00 PM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Iran/Iraq

Can anyone here tell me what sense it makes for Bush to have included Iran in the axis of evil rhetoric? I mean, if the US is going to attack Iraq, you would think that he would not want to alienate Iran.

Thomas

===== "The tradition of all the dead generations

weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living"

-Karl Marx