Someone else takes the 5th

Cian O'Connor cian_oconnor at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 14 06:27:14 PST 2002

Sorry for the probable sophomoric questions, but being British, I'm fairly ignorant of this group. My understanding was that they only target property, yes?

--- Ian Murray <seamus2001 at attbi.com> wrote:

> Rep. Jay Inslee, D-Wash., the subcommittee's ranking
> member, said he could understand Rosebraugh's
> "frustration" with the government's environmental
> policies under the Bush administration, "but it's
> not an excuse for violence."

This kind of sloppy rhetoric really pisses me off. Burning down buildings is possibly dangerous, but it's hardly violence. Same for spiking trees.

> And, he added, although most environmental groups
> pursue change though traditional means, some
> groups, including ELF, "abandoned democracy and
> embraced violence. In that sense, they are all
> wrong."

Someday somebody must explain to me why the only meaningful arena for change is representational democracy. In the mean time if it pisses this bozo off, pass me the fucking sledgehammer.

> There was wide agreement that such violent actions
> are growing and troubling, but fewer answers on
> what to do to curb it.

Troubling to who? Shareholders? Does the country as a whole give a damn?

> "How best to deal with this home-grown brand of
> al-Qaida?" asked Rep. George Nethercutt, R-Wash.

Because as well all know, burning an Aspen ski resort down is JUST like flying a plane into a skyscraper and killing a couple of thousand people. Mind you, I guess if you own capital they're not to dissimilar - both are profit producing entities after all.

> "I propose that we use the model that has worked so
> well in Afghanistan. Improve our intelligence. Free
> the hands of law enforcement authorities. Isolate
> terrorists from allies and assistance. Cut off
> their funding. Give them no rest and no quarter."

Also bomb Berkley.