Someone else takes the 5th

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Thu Feb 14 09:14:14 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Cian O'Connor" <cian_oconnor at yahoo.co.uk>

> Sorry for the probable sophomoric questions, but being
> British, I'm fairly ignorant of this group. My
> understanding was that they only target property, yes?

===============

Yes. Public officials and journalists love to conflate property destruction with violence; keeps the citizenry locked in commodity fetishism.

> > Rep. Jay Inslee, D-Wash., the subcommittee's ranking
> > member, said he could understand Rosebraugh's
> > "frustration" with the government's environmental
> > policies under the Bush administration, "but it's
> > not an excuse for violence."
>
> This kind of sloppy rhetoric really pisses me off.
> Burning down buildings is possibly dangerous, but it's
> hardly violence. Same for spiking trees.

================

The US has a lot of enviro's who are bigtime followers of Edward Abby, who advocated monkeywrenching developers and their machines. Some are anti-technology, most just hate how property is doled out by the ruling class; since they're locked out of real particiapation in property rights issues, they play expensive pranks on guys and gals wearing fancy clothes and driving fancy cars.

> > And, he added, although most environmental groups
> > pursue change though traditional means, some
> > groups, including ELF, "abandoned democracy and
> > embraced violence. In that sense, they are all
> > wrong."
>
> Someday somebody must explain to me why the only
> meaningful arena for change is representational
> democracy. In the mean time if it pisses this bozo
> off, pass me the fucking sledgehammer.

Now you're getting the hang of it.

> > There was wide agreement that such violent actions
> > are growing and troubling, but fewer answers on
> > what to do to curb it.
>
> Troubling to who? Shareholders? Does the country as a
> whole give a damn?

Nope. This is the land of mutual indifference.