I'm a frog. You're a princess (RE:sex, guns, etc.)

Mike Ferro mferro at seanet.com
Fri Feb 15 11:17:00 PST 2002

on 2/15/02 10:55 AM, Hakki Alacakaptan at nucleus at superonline.com wrote:

> || The evidence regarding the testosterone mythology is rather elemental:
> || testosterone is a hormone found in both sexes and underlies sex drive in
> || both.
> || M.F.
>
> The presence of a chemical doesn't mean it acts in the same way. The "sex
> drive" is no simple process.
>
> We can go on like this with two-liners unless you'd care to elaborate, if
> you have anything to elaborate.
>
> Hakki

My point is the same as yours: aggressive behavior and sexual behavior are complex. Attributing the character of such behaviors to the relative presence or absence of one or more-than-one chemical (hormone or neurotransmitter, testosterone or serotonine, for example) is not useful. The testosterone mythology to which I referred is this kind of attempt to attribute certain behaviors to the putative presence or absence of a certain chemical. I hope this is clear.

M.F.