Bonapartism, Fascism & our new order

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Mon Feb 18 20:40:35 PST 2002

Hi,

In many ways this is simply fetishization of antiquated terms used by Marx. How is Chris' description of Bonapartism different from what is now called right-wing populism by contemporary sociologists, political scientists and historians? Especially the idea of popular cross-class anti-regime rhetoric during a crisis of legitimacy such as described by Habermas?

A lot of the criticism of what I am saying seems to be essentially complaints that I don't use the exact language used by Marx.

Well, so what?

Perhaps Chris can articulate where there is a real difference between Bonapartism and right-wing populism.

Perhaps Hakki can show where my definition of fascism actually conficts with anything said by Renton, instead of using insulting personal attacks and smears.

I don't get it.

-Chip Berlet