Selfish genes & population demographics

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Tue Feb 19 20:03:13 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Greg Schofield" <g_schofield at dingoblue.net.au> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 4:14 PM Subject: Re: Selfish genes & population demographics

> Greg:
> I tend to disagree with this if you had in mind modern birth control.

Sure. Modern birth control is the reason why sex and procreation are much more tenuously connected than they once were.

> However historically within non-polygamous households, relative wealth
always
> seems to lead to a general decline in childbirth - the reason which works
both
> culturally and biologically is that the comfort zone makes survival rates
better and > hence it is wisest to invest more in fewer children as a higher proportion will
> survive.

I think the relatively well-off are more educated as to the benefits of contraception. I doubt the poor have a greater desire for children.

> Culturally, under stressed conditions the parents must consider their own
survival > under old age so not only does relatively high death rates come into it, the family > unit may well depend on having as many possiblities to survive by the the
> contributions of their children, hence in poor conditions many children
may be an > asset for all (mutual support).

Historically this has often been the case. However, I doubt it has anything to do with relative birth rates in the developed world.

-- Luke