fascism

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Tue Feb 19 09:51:10 PST 2002

At 09:47 AM 02/19/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>The French left may be sucking up to their pomo philosophers
>out of contrition for their maoist sins but in the US there are no such
>indigenous causes, it's all a matter of the pipers' payers calling the tune.
>
>Hakki

oh, yes. I remember my pomo Marxist studies prof telling me that the reason my position (as a Marxist) was untenable was because there was no working class left in the United States. We were at that moment standing in his office at UC Berkeley, overlooking Oakland (impoverished, black, working class city) to the south. I asked him if he'd like to go have lunch in Oakland and further meditate on the absence of a working class. He declined. Then he wrote a long and very negative evaluation of my performance in class which though "brilliant" ...had the effect of mau-mauing and disrupting his class. He went on to found a pomo historicist lit crit magazine and then, on to Harvard where he put together some "sexy" history of ideas program for them.

Joanna