marxist sociology

Charles Brown CharlesB at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Wed Feb 20 10:01:36 PST 2002

Justin: Matterof fact, I bet you 99 out of 100 Marxist philosopher could do no better.

^^^^^^^

CB: A Marxist _philosopher_ would be following the lead of both Engels and Lenin who paid attention to Kant and neo-Kantians, such as Mach. Engels even uses "things-in-themselves" and adds "things-for-us", creatively developing Kant as one of his fundamental concepts. He criticizes Kant, but preserves some of Kant's concepts in his own development of the subject. Krupskaya mentions Lenin studying Kant while in exile in Siberia. You don't think Ilyenkov , Cornforth , or James Lawler or Politzer know about Kant ? I have a book right here in my hand by Marxist philosoher A.O. Sternin in which neo-Kantianism is discussed. Socalled "Classical German philosophy" including Kant is important to Marxist philosophers. Lenin specifically urged that philosophers especially in the German classical tradition be studied, so it is very likely that Kant was in the Soviet philosophy curriculum.