marxist sociology

chris hurl chris_hurl at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 20 13:39:05 PST 2002

I was taught right from the very beginning that sociology had three founders that roughly coincided with three different schools: 1. Durkheim - Structural-Functionalist 2. Weber - Symbolic Interactionist 3. Marx - Conflict At UBC, where I majored in sociology, essentially every teacher that I had identified themselves as some sort of Marxist or identified strongly with Marx's writings. In fact, this was a major reason why I went into sociology in the first place. It was only after I left UBC that I began to understand that most other schools, particularly in North America, particularly in the United States ascribed to a very positivist and "functionalist" view of sociology. Moreover, from my experience I have found that there are as many different brands of "marxist" sociology as there are "marxisms" outside of sociology. For instance there is a huge difference between the works of C. Wright Mills, Dahrendorff, Bourdieu, etc. all of whom are sociologists and all of whom adopt Marx in their writings to some extent.

chris

chris