fascism/upward mobility

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall_2 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 20 17:57:31 PST 2002

--- joanna bujes <joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com> wrote:
> At 04:11 PM 02/20/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> > White men and the myth of upward mobility
> >

>http://www.washington.edu/newsroom/news/2002archive/02-02archive/k022002.html
>
> Yeah, I think this tells us more about the prospects
> of fascism in the
> twenty first century than anything else I've read on
> LBO so far. Let me try
> a definition:
>
> Fascism: the successful attempt (during a period of
> Capitalist crisis) to
> get the working class to identify with the ruling
> class via some shared
> national or ethnic "identity" -- which serves, of
> course, to conceal real
> class conflicts. As such, and not coincidentally,
> fascism may even
> represent itself to be anti-capitalist....for a
> while.
>
> Joanna B.

That's all well and good, and I don't disagree with that def...but I don't think the article I posted was saying that it was white men only who were getting the short end of the stick, but the study only made sense if it didn't count non white males (because of problems with history and "comparatiblity"--it's explained in the study)

I emphed the "White Male" part in my subject line because that was what the article was about--not because I think that white supremists or 'fascists' might use this study to their advantage (I've heard a lot of claims on the right--and at my work lately that "White Men" are becoming a "minority", blah blah, blah)...

This study has nothing to do with giving more power to the "White male minority" whining I've heard, but more with the idea that people are better off under the "new (old) economy" and how it's bunk.

===== Kevin Dean Buffalo, NY ICQ: 8616001 Buffalo Activist Network http://www.buffaloactivist.net